The Summary Care Record (SCR) is an electronic record of important patient information created from GP medical records. It can be seen and used by authorised staff in other areas of the health and care system involved in your direct care. Your SCR is a short summary of your GP medical records (medication, allergy and adverse reaction information). This means they can give you better care if you need health care away from your usual doctor's surgery, such as in an emergency when on holiday, or when your surgery is closed or if visiting a pharmacy.
You can also choose to have additional helpful information added to your SCR, creating an "Enhanced Summary Care Record". It can include the following:
- Your long term health conditions such as asthma, diabetes, heart problems or rare medical conditions.
- Your relevant medical history such as clinical procedures that you have had, why you need a particular medicine, the care you are currently receiving and clinical advice to support your future care.
- Your healthcare needs and personal preferences - You may have particular communication needs, a long term condition that needs to be managed in a particular way, or you may have made legal decisions or have preferences about your care that you would like to be known.
- Immunisations - details of previous vaccinations, such as tetanus and routine childhood jabs.
- Please note: specific sensitive information such as any fertility treatments, sexually transmitted infections, pregnancy terminations or gender reassignment will not be included, unless you specifically ask for any of these items to be included.
Enhanced Summary Care Record Video
How will additional information help me?
Essential details about your healthcare can be very difficult to remember, particularly if you are unwell. Having additional information in your SCR means that when you need healthcare, you will be helped to recall this vital information. This can further increase the quality of your care and empower you if you need some help to communicate your complex care needs.
Please speak to reception should you wish to consent / activate your Enhanced Summary Care Record.
Enhanced Summary Care Record Form